Saturday, March 30, 2013

I COOKED A BUNNY {CAKE}

Happy Saturday! I cannot believe that it is Easter weekend! Time is just going by faster and faster it seems! I was definitely taken aback when I realized that I needed to make my bunny cake today. This is another tradition that my mom always does and when I am not home in St. Louis for Easter, I like to make the bunny cake myself. It's the least I can do to feel connected to my family if I can't be home with them. 

This year's bunny cake is a little different though. It essentially looks the same, I just tweaked some of the ingredients. I used a cake mix from my beloved Earth Fare and also purchased the candy for the bunny cake there so it would be organic. Unfortunately, I could not find an organic or natural food coloring and the box mix to make my own organic icing was way more money than I was wanting to spend on it, especially since I had some normal icing sitting in my pantry. Check it out!

Typically I use normal cake mix, Twizzlers Pull 'n' Peels to make the thin whiskers, Whoppers for the eyes and Starburst Jelly Beans for the mouth and bow tie. This time I got organic chocolate balls, organic jelly beans and a fruit leather. I used a steak knife and cut strips out of the fruit leather to make the whiskers. The only thing that I am a little disappointed about is that the Starburst Jelly Beans' colors are more vibrant, and there are more colors to choose from. This pack only had yellow, dark pink and then a color that I am assuming is light pink? Who knows, and oh well, it still looks cute!




So to start, you bake two 8in round pans per directions. After they are cooled, you start at one "corner" of one of the cakes and cut a half circle. Then, do the same on the opposite side. When you pull the three pieces apart you will see that the two outer pieces look like ears and what is left in the middle is in the shape of a bow tie! Genius! I usually gently draw out these pieces with the tip of the knife on the cake before I actually fully cut just to make sure I am happy with the shapes. Cut the bottom of the ears so they are flat, not pointed, and will therefore be flush with the bunny's head. Viola! 



 Just a small amount of food coloring for the bow tie and center of the ears will do. I always do a green bow tie, but any color works. As for the center of the ears, pink, duh! But I guess whatever floats your boat!




Carefully ice the bunny. This step can be a little frustrating at first. Make sure the cake is fully cooled or else you will get black specks everywhere! Usually I am too impatient and my cake ends up having specks everywhere, but this one I actually waited and didn't have too many specks of cake pop up. Yay!




And lastly, decorate!!!




To follow this calorie bomb, here are some healthy eats:

The other night I made spaghetti with chicken. Instead of using pasta noodles I used a bag of broccoli slaw that was steamed on the stove top to soften it. I knew the hubs was not going to be overly excited about this, so I did make a small side of whole wheat pasta for him. Verdict? Great!! I really enjoyed it, felt like I was eating pasta and got to avoid the carbs! This will definitely not be a pasta substitute all the time for me (I'm half Itialian for crying out loud), but I am definitely excited that I enjoyed it and now have the option. I have to give Pinterest some props because I found it there!




Breakfast this morning was of the oatmeal variety. Oats, almond milk, cinnamon, almond butter and raisins. I ended up throwing a banana in the mix because I could tell I needed a little bit more. After this digested I went for a nice run. Sometimes it just feels so good to stretch those legs out! Although the weather wasn't too bad this morning, I am a whimp when it comes to less-then-ideal weather so I enjoyed my run on the inside while catching some E! Fashion Police. LOVE that show. 




After microwaving for just under a minute.




And for lunch I had this beauty. Spinach, orange, purple onion, almond slivers, chopped up dates, feta cheese and raspberry vinaigrette. I also had a handful of a combination of brazil nuts, cashews, walnuts, pumpkin seeds and whole almonds. Mmm...




Hope everyone has a great Saturday! Think we are laying low and maybe going to watch a movie. Needless to say, no fashion pics from tonight, unless you want to see my sweat pants! Victoria's Secret boyfriend fit ;)    Can't help myself!


xoxo MaryBeth




+Apple iPhone and iPad Apps, News and Updates 
+Earth Fare 
+Organic Farmers & Growers 
+Produtos Victorias Secret  
+E! Entertainment 



No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips